Every fall impacts body function, movement, mechanics and efficiency. Most acute injuries involve strains in the deep muscles of the back, which may take several days for symptoms to become noticeable. Even a minimal fall transfers energy from the ground through the body potentially causing severe injury. Play it safe and assume the fall had a negative impact on your health. Be proactive and take steps to ensure you have the maximum chance of full recovery.
If you start to notice any of these warning signs, it's time to seek immediate care:
- The back pain is ongoing and is getting worse
- The pain continues for more than four to six weeks
- Severe pain at night that wakes you up, even from a deep sleep
- There is back and abdominal pain
- Numbness or altered feelings in the upper inner thighs, groin area, buttock or genital area
A doctor of chiropractic is trained in assessment and treatment of acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries with programs of preventive medicine. Most back, hip and neck conditions can be managed well with chiropractic treatment. However, if your symptoms are of a severe nature, as described above, a visit to the ER would be more appropriate.